The course is comprehensive with respect to programmatic aspects of 10 CFR 50 Appendix J, provides specific focus on current industry developments such NEI 94-01 Rev 3A, and now incorporates a “hands-on” Local Leak Rate Testing (LLRT) demonstration where students perform valve lineups, simulate troubleshooting and collect leak rate results using an LLRT mock-up complete with associated test equipment.
Managing a power plant’s Appendix J Program requires talents from and interfaces with various disciplines, combined with practical ability and a good understanding of the regulatory requirements.
The course is designed to provide an initial conceptual overview of Appendix J and the regulatory documents that provide implementation guidance and requirements, followed by comprehensive and in-depth practical application of those requirements. In addition, discussions related to specific plant activities, that when implemented facilitate program incorporation of industry best practices, are ongoing throughout the course. The course curriculum has been designed to meet the needs of the student regardless of experience level.
- Basic Appendix J concepts and applications,
- Historical perspective on 10 CFR 50 Appendix J,
- Regulatory Requirements with added emphasis on NEI 94-01 Revision 3-A Implementation
- Program Plan Content, Bases & Revision,
- Program Notebook Content & Revision,
- Outage / Cycle Reports,
- Outage Test Scope Development and Review,
- Monitoring of LLRT Activities, Review of Work Packages (pre-& post completion)
- Pre-and Post-Maintenance Testing requirements/guidance,
- Long Range Planning, i.e., next ILRT, budgetary forecast, regulatory changes, etc.,
- Review of Plant Modifications and impact upon Appendix J Program,
- Review available options for reducing component LLRT scope,
- Containment airlock LLRT requirements and impact of Maintenance activities,
- Review of contemporary Industry Appendix J Operating Experience,
- Interface of the Appendix J Program with other Programs such as: AOV, MOV, SOV, IST, Check Valve, PRA, ISI,
- Discussion of industry Appendix J related “Hot Topics”,
- Classroom exercises designed to demonstrate implementation of program principles and requirements utilizing actual nuclear industry OE as their basis,
- Review of recent APOG member-benefit focused area self-assessment results,
- Participation benefits realized by joining the Appendix J Program Owners Group (APOG)
- Hands-on experience with LLRT simulator mock-up and leak rate monitor
GSE TrueNorth is integrally involved in the Appendix J Owners Group (APOG) and the Inservice Testing Owners Group (ISTOG) and has performed Appendix J and Inservice Testing Program related assessments. TrueNorth has also presented IST, Thermal Performance, Heat Exchanger, and GL-89-13 training throughout the Nuclear Industry.
Schedule At A Glance
- Tuesday, 8 am – 5 pm (MST)
- Wednesday, 8 am – 5 pm (MST)
- Thursday, 8 am – 5 pm (MST)
Classes forming now
Virtual or In-person
CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS (CEU)
Each attendee will receive a Certificate of Completion for 2.4 Continuing Education Units (CEU) credits to qualify for 24 Professional Development Hours (PDH) needed to fulfill Professional Engineers’ continuing education requirements. The credits will be awarded without authorization. It is the attendee’s responsibility to keep and present the certificate to any organization that requires the certificate.
ABOUT GSE ENGINEERING
GSE Engineering is a highly experienced team focused on creating innovative ways to meet our customers’ needs using a combination of our industry-leading services and products. The GSE Programs & Performance group (Formerly True North Consulting) leverages decades of specialized expertise in thermal performance and engineering programs that refine and update systems, to optimize performance and safety.